The non-profit Partnership for Food Safety Education has released a new animated video for families and video recipes that reminds everyone how to keep a “clean scene” and reduce the spread of harmful germs on your hands and kitchen surfaces.
“One in six Americans gets sick with food poisoning each year, with children under age 7 being at greatest risk,” PFSE Executive Director Shelley Feist said. “We wanted to mark National Food Safety Education Month with fun video reminders of how families can enjoy safe, delicious meals and party buffets at home.”
PFSE has just released new The Story of Your Dinner recipes, buffet and party tips and kids activity sheets for National Food Safety Education Month and upcoming fall celebrations. Home cooks will find easy recipes that include safe food handling steps for preparing safe, tasty meals and snacks.
With the holiday season right around the corner, PFSE offers a few important food safety reminders:
- Did you know that, according to the USDA, 97% of people fail to properly wash their hands when preparing a meal Before cooking and after handling raw ingredients (such as meat, poultry, eggs and flour), wash your hands with warm water and soap for 20 seconds.
- Rinsing raw meat is not a safety step. Rinsing your chicken or turkey can spread harmful bacteria around your sink, counters and your hands.
- Always use a food thermometer to ensure meat, poultry and other foods have reached a safe internal temperature. Print this temperature chart to keep handy in your kitchen.
Here are all the fun food safety and meal preparation resources (in English and Spanish) from StoryOfYourDinner.org:
- Animated video on how to “Keep a Clean Scene” at home when preparing meals
- Animated video on the food safety “chain of prevention” with all that is done to keep food safe
- Sharable recipe videos and printable recipe cards:
- Printable recipes with photos developed by leading food bloggers:
- Printable flyer on safety tips for holiday parties and buffets
- Infographic on risks of raw batter/dough and baking food safety
- Activity sheets and coloring placemats for kids