The Southeast Produce Council is seeking applications for the James & Theresa Nolan Family Foundation Scholarship.
This scholarship was established to memorialize Jim Nolan, who took an ethical stand on a business matter at great cost to himself. As a result of his professional ethics, Nolan (seen with Theresa in the above photo) was ostracized by colleagues and remained isolated in his efforts to maintain moral integrity in his workplace.
One college-aged student (graduating high school senior or current college student) will receive a one-time scholarship of $5,000 to help with his or her education.
Each applicant must be/have a parent or grandparent who is a corporate member in good standing as of Jan. 1, 2019, has been on the SEPC membership roster for at least 12 months and has attended at least one event (Southern Exposure and/or Southern Innovations) within the past 12 months.
Immediate family members may apply if the active member is part of a corporate membership. Members who have individual memberships are not eligible. The scholarship will be awarded based on GPA (3.0 or higher), references and quality of essay. Each applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student (minimum 12 semester hours).
The following is needed to complete the application:
- college or high school transcripts
- SEPC member name and membership number
- college/university student ID number, current major and GPA
- college/university address where the scholarship funds should be sent
- SAT and/or ACT scores
- enrollment verification from college/university
- two letters of recommendation
- community involvement description
- 500- to 1000-word essay on the importance of ethics, describing a situation where doing the right thing was difficult, but you did so in spite of the cost; also include thoughts on ethical lessons learned from your experience and how these lessons can be applied to corporate America.
Applications are due before 5 p.m. EST July 5 and will only be accepted electronically.
For questions, email email@example.com or call (877)720-SEPC.