Ready for some juicy news? Beyoncé — yes, that Beyoncé, Queen Bey, Mrs. Jay-Z — is getting behind her watermelon juice line just ahead of National Watermelon Day Aug. 3.
In case you’ve been living under a rock (with no WIFI connection), two years ago the queen of music invested in a line of fresh watermelon juice products called WTRMLN WTR.
You might think she’d prefer Lemonade, but Beyoncé is a watermelon believer.
Watermelons are 92% water — Beyoncé’s juice is 100% watermelon juice. It’s made from ugly produce — seconds that could not be sold fresh — and creates an aftermarket for product that might otherwise go to waste. The juice comes straight from the fruit with no added sugar or further processing.
WTRMLN WTR was launched in 2013 by CEO Jody Levy to make use of the goodness and health benefits of the whole watermelon — rind to pulp.
The basic watermelon juice comes in eight versions flavored with natural ingredients. There’s also an amped sports drink version available in four flavors.
National Watermelon Day has been growing in popularity for the last decade — with Bee behind it, it may become an official national holiday (let’s push for that anyway).
To celebrate, Beyoncé has unleashed a line of new avalanche of recipes featuring WTMLN WTR (and a whole lot of fresh produce). In the spirit of the day, we thought we’d share them with you.
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ¼ cup chopped WTRMLN
- ½ cup cooked sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (or tree nut of choice)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- olive oil + salt + pepper (to taste)
PREPARATION: Add all ingredients to the kale or lettuce mix, top with walnuts + cheese, add olive oil + salt + pepper to taste.
- 1 medium zucchini or spaghetti squash, grated into thin strips
- 1 large slice of fresh WTRMLN
- 1 tablespoon roasted pepitas
- ½ lime wedge
- olive oil + salt + pepper, to taste
PREPARATION: Allow squash strips to marinate in olive oil + salt + pepper until fully coated, place WTRMLN slice on plate and add zoodles. Top with pepitas, lime juice to taste
- 1 cup sushi grade ahi tuna (or fish of choice)
- ½ cup chopped WTRMLN
- ¼ cup sliced mango
- ½ cubed avocado
- 2 tablespoons ponzu sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons nori seaweed
- 1 teaspoon fried onion pieces
- sesame seeds (to taste)
PREPARATION: Allow fish to marinate in ponzu sauce until flavor evenly coats fish. Add all other ingredients and stir lightly. Top with sesame seeds and friend onion pieces.
- 1 + 1/4 cup of fresh watermelon slices
- ½ cup WTRMLN WTR
- ½ cup coconut milk (or alternative milk of choice)
PREPARATION: Puree 1 cup of chopped WTRMLN slices with ½ cup WTRMLN WTR and pour into popsicle molds so molds are 2/3 full. Freeze for 30 minutes and pour chilled cocnut milk on top of frozen watermelon blend. Top with remaining watermelon slices and freeze for an additional 30 minutes. Rinse molds under warm water to release popsicle and enjoy somewhere near a pool or beach.
- 1 bottle of WTRMLN WTR (12 oz)
- 1 frozen acai berry packet or your own acai blend.
- 1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa.
- 1 tablespoon maca powder.
- 1/4 cup sprouted almonds (or any nut or seed)
- 1 cup of milk alternative (coconut, almond, soy, rice, hemp, etc.)
- 2 cups of ice.
PREPARATION: Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Top with your favorite granola, coconut, or fresh WTRMLN slices. Enjoy with a smile.