Cindy Jewell, Vice President of Marketing at California Giant Berry Farms, will be the honoree and featured speaker at the Reception Honoring Women in Produce, Tuesday, June 26, at United Fresh 2018 in Chicago. Prior to joining California Giant, Cindy served as Executive Vice President of the California Strawberry Commission, where she worked for 19 years.
The Reception Honoring Women in Produce is held each year in conjunction with the United Fresh convention and expo. The event recognizes the contributions of all women working in the produce industry, and selects one individual to share her personal experience of service. The featured speaker is selected from nominations submitted by United Fresh members across the industry. Nominations are evaluated by a committee of past honorees and United Fresh officers based on the candidate’s involvement in the industry, contributions to the industry, and inspiration for others working in the industry.
“Cindy’s strength and curiousity drive her to advance strategic marketing and communicaitons innovation for every project she touches,” said United Fresh President & CEO Tom Stenzel. “She has worked tirelessly to stay engaged with the industry in order to harness her expertise and commitment to increasing consumption. We’re honored to have her leading the United Fresh Board of Directors this year and to also be able to celebrate her dedication with this honor.”
In her role at California Giant in Watsonville, CA, Cindy is responsible for strategic planning, developing and executing all marketing and communications programs for the brand. A key component includes managing their social media platform and image campaign tied to inbound marketing engaging with consumers and building brand loyalty. She has developed and maintain the crisis communications program at California Giant, taking the lead in issues management and serving as the company spokesperson with consumers and the media.
Cindy has served two terms on the United Fresh Grower-Shipper Board; two more with the United Fresh Produce Marketing & Merchandising Council and a full term on the United Fresh Start Foundation Board of Trustees. She has previously held leadership positions at the Produce for Better Health Foundation. She is a graduate of Class 30 of the California Agricultural Leadership Program.
Currently Cindy is serving as Chairman of the United Fresh Board of Directors. She also serves with the Salinas Grower-Shipper Association, serves on the Board and Communications Committee for the Alliance for Food and Farming, and serves as director for the California Giant Foundation leading the annual Tour de Fresh ride to support salad bars for schools.
Cindy will join a distinguished group of women including:
- Dan’l Mackey Almy, DMA Solutions, Inc.
- Tonya Antle, Organic Produce Network
- Frieda Rapoport Caplan, Frieda’s, Inc.
- Karen Caplan, Frieda’s, Inc.
- Margaret D’Arrigo Martin, Margaret, Inc.
- Jan DeLyser, California Avocado Commission
- Lorelei, DiSogra, United Fresh Produce Association
- Jan Fleming, Strube Celery & Vegetable Company
- Janice Honigberg, Sun Belle, Inc.
- Lorri Koster, Mann Packing Company
- Julie Krivanek, Krivanek Consulting Inc.
- Kathleen Nave, California Table Grape Commission
- Lisa McNeece, Grimmway Enterprises Inc.
- Teri Miller, The Fresh Market
- Dr. Martha Rhodes-Roberts, Roberts Associates
- Steffanie Smith, Andrew Smith Company
- Heather Shavey, Costco Wholesale
- Mayda Sotomayor-Kirk, Seald Sweet International/Greenyard USA
- Rosemary Talley, Talley Farms
- Jenney Tenney, The Kroger Company
The Reception Honoring Women in Produce is one of the most popular networking events at the United Fresh annual convention. Tickets are required for the event, and are included in the All Access Package. For more information about the reception, contact United Fresh Senior Director of Member Programs & Education, Amanda Griffin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-303-3412.